Saturday 23 November 2019

Ronaldo: The Vixen Pederson Workshop - Maxine Sylvester

Date of Reading: 20/11/2019
Author: Maxine Sylvester
Publisher: KDP
Publication Date: November 20, 2019
Source: ARC provided by the author
Rating: 5/5

About the book:

Destination North Pole! Santa’s top reindeer, Vixen Pederson, is hosting a teamwork workshop—and Ronaldo has his flying goggles packed and ready to go!

In training for a sleigh race, the cadets must work together to win the ultimate prize—Jingle Bells! But Ronaldo’s dream turns into a nightmare when Cupid joins his side. She’s the worst flying cadet, ever! And his squabbling teammates are plotting to put her out of the race.

But Cupid isn’t who she appears to be. And when Ronaldo discovers she is the granddaughter of a world-famous flying champion, he suspects she is guarding a secret. And the only way to lead his team to victory—is to find out what it is.

Review:

     Of all the books in the 'Ronaldo the Flying Reindeer' series, this one is my favourite. And that could probably because this story happens in Santa's own kingdom. The new characters and the illustrations that go along with are nothing but mesmerising. 
      Here in the fourth story, we are introduced to the workshop of Vixen Pederson (our hero's idol) which happens in the North Pole. There is a ride on the North Pole Sleighways, food from Jingles Cafe which by the way, offers three hundred and sixty-five flavours of hot chocolate (Yummy!). New friends are made, jealousies are overcome and finally, there is this secret meeting with . . . Oops! Sorry, I can't reveal that one.
     On the whole an amusing and entertaining story perfect for kids as well as adults who enjoy a good Christmas tale. Highly recommended!

Meet the author:


I was born in Hounslow, Middlesex in the south of England. As a child, I loved drawing and took private art classes with a wonderful teacher called, Pearl Lee. She had an abundance of Disney magazines, and I would paint the characters on wood, card, canvas or anything else I was allowed to use, including walls.
  
When I was nine, my mum took me on holiday to Majorca. I clearly remember being fascinated by how other people lived outside of England. Travelling became my new obsession.

After Sixth Form College, I intended to go to art school, but my travel bug got the better of me and chose to work as a holiday representative in Greece instead. This was followed by seven years working on cruise ships, two years in Israel and Palestine, and six years in Russia and Armenia. Although I lapped up the different cultures, I found my work over the years very unfulfilling. I decided to dig out my Caran d’Arche pencils, and do something about it!

I enrolled in The College of Cartoon Art and was mentored by the renowned caricaturist, Steve Chadburn. I created a character called Ronaldo and decided to write a short story about him. Before I knew it, my head was spinning with ideas and the first book, The Reindeer Flying Academy, went from a small picture book into a full-blown chapter book … but more importantly, I loved every minute of the writing and illustrating process.

Nowadays, I live in Bali, Indonesia, with my amazing partner, Mark, (Bristol born and bred) and am currently illustrating the third book for the Ronaldo series, Rudi’s Birthday Extravaganza.

I am still a self-confessed Disney geek and get excited as a five-year-old whenever a new Disney animated film comes out. I love the Disney theme parks and have visited Orlando, Paris, Hong Kong and Tokyo – California and Shanghai are next on my bucket list.

I have an unhealthy fondness for pizza and chocolate but a healthy love of Pilates - I like to think they balance each other out. And finally, I am a lifelong Arsenal supporter … although sometimes I wish I wasn’t!

7 comments:

  1. The Ronaldo books are adorable. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never heard of them, but the cover is cute and adorable

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds super cute. I want it.
    Gemma @ Gemma's Book Nook

    ReplyDelete
  4. This series looks adorable! I purchased one of the books for my little ones . . . we'll have to check out the others. Great review :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review, I've read two other books in the series and I have this one waiting. Can't wait to get to it now that you have enjoyed it so much.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.