Wednesday 20 November 2019

Ronaldo: Rudi's Birthday Extravaganza - Maxine Sylvester


Date of Reading: 19/11/2019
Author: Maxine Sylvester
Publication Date: September 29, 2017
Source: Ebook provided by the author 
Rating: 5/5

About the book:

It is summertime in Beresford. Ronaldo and Rudi are beside themselves with excitement: Monty the Moose, the most incredible Magician in the whole world is performing at Rudi’s birthday party!

But before the festivities begin, there’s the important matter of The Reindeer Flyover, an ancient tradition of The Reindeer Flying Academy that marks the end of the school term. But Rudi might not be able to fly. He’s injured his hoof and refuses to see Doctor Kloppen. Rudi is terrified of needles and, rumour has it, the Doctor’s needle is the size of a rocket!

Meanwhile, Ronaldo meets celebrity baker, Mrs Sorensson, and offers to deliver her cakes to ‘Carrot’s ‘N’ Cakes’ bakery before flying school. The weather is hot so Ronaldo rushes through the forest so he can deliver the cakes before the icing melts. But trouble is lurking in the woods. Dasher and his menacing brothers, Comet and Prancer, are hiding in the bushes. Waiting for Ronaldo!

Review:

      This is the third book in the 'Ronaldo the Flying Reindeer' series. Having read the other two I was really excited to have this copy from the author and it doesn't disappoint. You don't have to read the other books to know the premise, but I highly recommend it. These books are super cool and funny no matter your age.
       The story revolves around the events leading to Rudi's birthday party. There is a visit to the doctor (poor Rudi!), the end of term exams and a lot of delicacies to eat as we are getting acquainted with Mrs. Sorensson. There will be tons to laugh about and the pictures are beautiful. I think our dear hero is showing the signs of a potbelly. Careful there Ronaldo. We need you whole and healthy for the workshop to come in the next book.

Meet the author:


I was born in Hounslow, Middlesex in the south of England. As a child, I loved drawing and took private art classes with a wonderful teacher called, Pearl Lee. She had an abundance of Disney magazines, and I would paint the characters on wood, card, canvas or anything else I was allowed to use, including walls.
  
When I was nine, my mum took me on holiday to Majorca. I clearly remember being fascinated by how other people lived outside of England. Travelling became my new obsession.

After Sixth Form College, I intended to go to art school, but my travel bug got the better of me and chose to work as a holiday representative in Greece instead. This was followed by seven years working on cruise ships, two years in Israel and Palestine, and six years in Russia and Armenia. Although I lapped up the different cultures, I found my work over the years very unfulfilling. I decided to dig out my Caran d’Arche pencils, and do something about it!

I enrolled in The College of Cartoon Art and was mentored by the renowned caricaturist, Steve Chadburn. I created a character called Ronaldo and decided to write a short story about him. Before I knew it, my head was spinning with ideas and the first book, The Reindeer Flying Academy, went from a small picture book into a full-blown chapter book … but more importantly, I loved every minute of the writing and illustrating process.

Nowadays, I live in Bali, Indonesia, with my amazing partner, Mark, (Bristol born and bred) and am currently illustrating the third book for the Ronaldo series, Rudi’s Birthday Extravaganza.

I am still a self-confessed Disney geek and get excited as a five-year-old whenever a new Disney animated film comes out. I love the Disney theme parks and have visited Orlando, Paris, Hong Kong and Tokyo – California and Shanghai are next on my bucket list.

I have an unhealthy fondness for pizza and chocolate but a healthy love of Pilates - I like to think they balance each other out. And finally, I am a lifelong Arsenal supporter … although sometimes I wish I wasn’t!

12 comments:

  1. Nice Review , thanks for letting me know about it

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a sweet series

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds like an adorable children's series. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like the perfect series for my nieces!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute sounding book! I've read another one in this series and they are all really adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks very cute! Thank you for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks like such a cute book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review, I recently reviewed this book as well. The whole series is really cute and I can't wait to begin the next one. Glad you enjoyed it too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review, this book looks and sounds like a really cute and adorable book. I'm really glad you fully enjoyed reading this book. Thank you so much for sharing your awesome post.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.