Wednesday 27 November 2019

More Than Just Mum - Rebecca Smith

Date of Reading: 26/10/2019
Author: Rebecca Smith
Publisher: One More Chapter
Publication Date: December 7, 2019
Source: NetGalley
Rating: 5/5

About the book:

Hannah Thompson loves her family beyond words… but sometimes, just sometimes, she wishes she could be recognised as more than just ‘mum’.

Eldest son Dylan is soon to be flying the nest, sixteen-year-old Scarlet keeps asking about penalties for worryingly specific crimes, they’ve forgotten world book day and Benji absolutely will not be Where’s Wally again, and it’s at least two days before she and hubby Nick can sit down for Wine Wednesdays… and even longer until Fizzy Friday.

Determined to find herself a job that she loves, earn a whole lot of money and to have her teenagers respect her as ‘Hannah’ as well as ‘mum’; it might sound like a tall order, but she’s a mum on a mission.

A laugh-out-loud read of self-discovery, family chaos and love. Perfect for fans of Gill Sims, Fiona Gibson and Nick Spalding.

Review:

       I can't remember the last time I laughed so much reading a book. From the very first page to the last this novel was absolutely hilarious and so real. And what surprised me most that I was not able to guess where this story was heading at. The book features the day to day life of Hannah Thompson who is struggling with . . . well, practically everything.
     Rebecca Smith for sure is a gifted writer finding humour even in tragic situations. If you are a mother, you are going to find yourself in here. If you are a daughter like me, then you will feel a new appreciation for your working moms. If you are a teacher (again like me), you are going to find a comrade here, exclaiming loudly "Yes, that's what it feels like" (mimicking Loki of course).
        Hannah is your everyday mother trying hard to make ends meet with her part-time teaching job. At school, she is tortured by her class nine children and back at home, she needs to finish this marathon with three children who in my opinion talk too much. Her husband is supportive and helpful, but sometimes nothing is enough. Her life, on the whole, is pitiful and at the same time, outrageously funny.
       So pick this book to lighten up your moods and if not Hannah, you definitely will like the children; Scarlet with one 't' is my favourite but it is hard to choose. Surely a must-read!

Favourite quotes:

"We are all women who have been relegated to the status of 'someone's mum' from the moment that our children started making friends with other kids" - Loc 718

"Call me names at your peril. I am a woman. My bite is infinitely worse than my bark" - Loc 1623

"This is what I really love about writing, actually. The power. The ability to create personalities and bring forth new lives with only a few taps of the keyboard. When I am sitting at my laptop, dictating actions and deciding outcomes for these characters, I feel like a mighty deity." - Loc 3264

"It's good to know your areas of weakness, apparently. This whole experience has probably been really useful and self-improving. Even if it feels more like character assassination than character building" - Loc 3909

7 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see you enjoyed this so much as I have this one on my cloud - your excellent review has me wanting to stop everything and read it right now

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love a book that makes me laugh so I will have to check this book out. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need this book.I need to laugh a bit

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks like a great read. I snorted out loud when reading your quotes. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book looks so good! I laughed out loud when reading the quotes!

    ReplyDelete
  6. A book that makes you laugh is always a good book.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.