Saturday 15 September 2018

The Holiday Cruise - Victoria Cooke (Book Birthday Blitz)

Date of Reading: 20/08/2018
Author: Victoria Cooke
Publisher: HQ Digital
Year: 2017
Source: NetGalley 
Rating: 3.5/5
(This review is part of the Blog Blitz organised by Rachel's Random Resources)
About the book:
As if it weren't enough to be cheated on by her husband of ten years, Yorkshire lass Hannah Davis is losing her beauty salon business too. Luckily, her big sister is there to pick up the pieces, but Hannah is determined to find some independence.

Impulsively, Hannah applies for a spa job...on a cruise ship! Christmas in the Caribbean, springtime in the Mediterranean, what's not to like? But, despite being in her thirties, Hannah has never done anything in her own before, and she's terrified.

As the ship sets sail, Hannah has never been further from home...or closer to discovering who she is and who she wants to b
e. 
My Review:
        It is not always we get to read a book set on a cruise ship and for me, this is the second one this year. Beautician Hannah Davis is faced with a great crisis when her husband leaves her for a much younger woman. She mops around the house for weeks, neglecting her beauty salon and her backstabbing rival took this opportunity to grab her clients. So husbandless and penniless she applies for the job on a cruise ship, doing something she was not allowed to do during her marriage.
       Being guaranteed a happy ending, I was not too worried about Hannah's plight. Instead, I was constantly imagining the startled look of her ex, when she comes back with her gorgeous new boyfriend. So it was just a question of who and how. And Victoria Cooke produces a beautifully crafted tale of forbidden love while the ship continues its impassive voyage. I would have very much loved to read that particular scene of my fantasy (I know I am being petty here), but the author, being a bit more matured refused to showcase her heroine flaunting her new found fortune. Sigh!!!
       But the thing that constantly put me on the edge was Hannah's treatment of her elder sister, Jen. Having lost their parents at a young age, Jen was compelled to fill the huge gap for her little sister. Being an elder sister myself, I know how hard it can be. Yes, I agree that Jen should have concentrated on her own life once Hannah has acquired the ability to manage her affairs. Still, that won't balance out the way Hannah takes her elder sister for granted. Obviously, she should be leading her life the way she wanted, but there is no harm in caring for the sentiments of her beloved sister who was eagerly awaiting her return home. What can we say? No one is perfect even if they are the central characters of a novel. 
      I wish there were a sequel featuring Jen because it is quite clear that her life is anything but happy even with a wealthy husband. She reminds me of the words of my best friend who reminds me often that our happiness should not be dependent on someone else. Right as always!

Meet the author:
Victoria Cooke grew up in the city of Manchester before crossing the Pennines in pursuit of her career in education. She now lives in Huddersfield with her husband and two young daughters and when she’s not at home writing by the fire with a cup of coffee in her hand, she loves working out in the gym and travelling. Victoria was first published at the tender age of eight by her classroom teacher who saw potential in a six-page story about an invisible man. Since then she’s always had a passion for reading and writing, undertaking several writers’ courses before completing her first romantic comedy novel, 'The Secret to Falling in Love,' in 2016.
 

8 comments:

  1. eally got a useful blog to read today. Its very informative, keep posting more like this.
    Free Trading tips

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am an older sister as well, as I see that with my younger brothers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that pretty cover! SAME! I also look for dynamic sister relationships when reading a book. :)

    Jennilyn @ Rurouni Jenni Reads

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just finished it too and frequently wanted to give Hannah a smack to the head ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It does sounds like a cute rom-com, minus the sister sass ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like my sort of book. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely review. Sounds like a lovely fun book.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.