Friday 21 September 2018

Coming Home to Maple Cottage - Holly Martin


Date of Reading: 18/09/2018
Author: Holly Martin
Publisher: Bookouture
Expected Publication: September 28, 2018
Source: NetGalley
Rating: 3.5/5

About the book:

Isla Rosewood is creating a new life for herself and her sweet nephew Elliot in their cosy, yellow-brick family cottage, brimming with special memories. Living in Sandcastle Bay was never part of Isla’s plan but, after her brother Matthew’s tragic accident, her whole world changed as she unexpectedly became a mother to the little boy she adores so much. 

Leo Jackson was always known as Matthew’s fun-loving and wild best friend. But now Matthew is gone, it’s time to put his colourful past behind him. His role as Elliot’s godfather is the most important thing to him. And even though Leo and Isla are two very different people, they both want to give Elliot the childhood he deserves. 

As the three of them enjoy time together watching fireworks, baking cakes and collecting conkers, Isla begins to see a softer side to charming Leo, with his twinkling eyes and mischievous sense of humour. And, despite herself, she begins to fall for him. 

But does Leo feel the same way? Isla knows their situation is complicated but is it too complicated for true love… or will the year end with a happy new beginning for them all? 

A glorious, feel-good romance that will make you want to snuggle up under a warm blanket with a hot chocolate and the one you love. If you enjoy reading Sarah Morgan, Jenny Oliver and Lucy Diamond this book is for you.

My Review:

      I have ambiguous feelings on this one. The writing style of Holly Martin immediately attracted me. Her language literally flows out of the page but the simple and predictable plot line was disheartening. A talented writer like her could have taken something a bit more daring.
      'Coming Home to Maple Cottage' is the third novel in the Sandcastle Bay series but can be read as a standalone. I haven't read the other two in the series but was not at all troubled with the lack of background stories concerning other characters. Isla and Leo are quite a pair but more than their romantic activities what we love most is little Elliot. His presence created some of the hilarious scenes but it also brought with it the hardships concerning parenthood. I couldn't but admire the sacrifices Isla has made for her orphaned nephew and I do hope Elliot will one day be able to recognise it. 
       What disturbed me most was Leo Jackson. His ever present guilt feeling was a bit annoying. I do understand the situation about his father but guilt about Mathew's death? That was really going overboard. But I am not one to pass judgment since no one is perfect. They can be perfect only in novels and movies and the fantasy they provide attract multitudes like me to the world of reading. So in this perfect world, characters like Leo make a bittersweet story.
      To conclude, this is not a typical winter read that will make your toes curl with happiness. It will tug at your heartstrings making you weep and laugh. And lastly, you will be a part of the life of Sandcastle Bay where friends are many and  privacy is your private dream.

Meet the author (Goodreads):

I live in sunny Bedfordshire in a house with round windows. I studied media at university which led to a very glitzy career as a hotel receptionist followed by a even more glamorous two years working in a bank. The moment that one of my colleagues received the much coveted carriage clock for fifteen years service was the moment when I knew I had to escape. I quit my job and returned to university to train to be a teacher. Three years later, I emerged wide eyed and terrified that I now had responsibility for the development of thirty young minds. I taught for four years before History Off The Page came to my school to do a Tudor day. I now drive round the country in my little white van, dressing up as a Viking one day and an Egyptian High Priestess the next. 


I love to write. The characters do exactly what I want them to do, most of the time. Sometimes they do seem to go off and do their own thing without my permission. It is complete escapism into a world where I have full control.

10 comments:

  1. Too bad it had a predictable ending. Great review

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds a bit like the new rom-com teleserye here in the Philippines. Glad you enjoyed it! Great review. 💖

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't usually read books like this but it sounds really good! Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great review. I have some of her books on my shelf but not got round to them yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book sounds lovely and I need to check out this series. Thanks for sharing it so I can keep that TBR pile towering!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the cover of this one -- it makes it seem like it will be a real feel-good story. Bummer that the writing was a little too cookie-cutter. Thanks for a great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review. The cover is gorgeous, too bad the plot was lacking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Too bad it wasn't as much fun as the cover - which is darling!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Not sure I can take a weep fest at the moment, but it has such a charming cover.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like Holly's books. Not read any for a while. Might have to pick this up. Great review.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.