Friday 5 April 2019

Ronaldo: The Reindeer Flying Academy - Maxine Sylvester

Date of Reading: 05/04/2019
Author: Maxine Sylvester
Publication Date: November 2017
My Rating: 4.5/5

About the book:

"MOVE OVER RUDOLPH - RONALDO IS HERE TO STAY!" 

Ronaldo is the top flying cadet at the prestigious Reindeer Flying Academy. He dreams of getting his flying license and becoming one of Santa's reindeer, just like his hero, Vixen. 

In the first adventure in the Ronaldo series, the second year flying cadets face their toughest ever flying test – The Endurance Challenge. Will Ronaldo be victorious and lift the silver cup? Or will mean brothers Dasher, Comet and Prancer ruin his chance for success? 

My Review:

        Hurrah! Such a wonderful read that made my day glisten. I so wish there are some kids around to read it aloud because my teenage students are not going to respond to a children’s story favourably. Yes, I know I am way past children’s stories, but who can say no to that irresistible cover? And the illustrations inside can only be called heavenly, creating the perfect wintry feeling. A pretty remarkable feat considering the fact that there is a scorching sun outside.
      The story follows a single day in Ronaldo’s life (you are right, he is named after the footballer), which is going to change his life. There are so many funny moments that kept me smiling and cheerful throughout. Of all the characters grandpa is my favourite so far. He may not be actively present in the story, but his influence can be seen everywhere right from the picture at the start.
       Altogether a perfect read for the holidays to keep you warm and comfy. Can’t wait to see what happens in the second part.

Meet the author:


I was born in Hounslow, Middlesex in the south of England. As a child, I loved drawing and took private art classes with a wonderful teacher called, Pearl Lee. She had an abundance of Disney magazines, and I would paint the characters on wood, card, canvas or anything else I was allowed to use, including walls.
 
When I was nine, my mum took me on holiday to Majorca. I clearly remember being fascinated by how other people lived outside of England. Travelling became my new obsession.

After Sixth Form College, I intended to go to art school, but my travel bug got the better of me and chose to work as a holiday representative in Greece instead. This was followed by seven years working on cruise ships, two years in Israel and Palestine, and six years in Russia and Armenia. Although I lapped up the different cultures, I found my work over the years very unfulfilling. I decided to dig out my Caran d’Arche pencils, and do something about it!

I enrolled in The College of Cartoon Art and was mentored by the renowned caricaturist, Steve Chadburn. I created a character called Ronaldo and decided to write a short story about him. Before I knew it, my head was spinning with ideas and the first book, The Reindeer Flying Academy, went from a small picture book into a fully blown chapter book … but more importantly, I loved every minute of the writing and illustrating process.

Nowadays, I live in Bali, Indonesia, with my amazing partner, Mark, (Bristol born and bred) and am currently illustrating the third book for the Ronaldo series, Rudi’s Birthday Extravaganza.

I am still a self-confessed Disney geek and get excited as a five-year-old whenever a new Disney animated film comes out. I love the Disney theme parks and have visited Orlando, Paris, Hong Kong and Tokyo – California and Shanghai are next on my bucket list.

I have an unhealthy fondness for pizza and chocolate but a healthy love of Pilates - I like to think they balance each other out. And finally, I am a lifelong Arsenal supporter … although sometimes I wish I wasn’t!


11 comments:

  1. Who doesn't need some sparkle in their day? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awe the book sounds wonderful. I've seen it on Twitter. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks, I am glad that you mention seeing it on Twitter.
      Thank you
      Maxine

      Delete
  3. This sounds super cute. My class would love it.
    Gemma @ Gemma's Book Nook

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gemma, many thanks, I am sure your class will enjoy the Ronaldo Adventures.
      KR
      Maxine
      I will contact you via eMail

      Delete
  4. Thank you for your wonderful review, I am delighted that you enjoyed it.
    If you would like to review The second Ronaldo book, please let me know.
    I really do appreciate you taking time out read and review my work, thank you.

    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review! I’m gonna add this to my list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. will add it for holiday reads this year :)

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.