Saturday 6 April 2019

The Time of Our Lives - Portia MacIntosh

Date of Reading: 06/04/2019
Author: Portia MacIntosh
Publisher: HQ Digital
Publication Date: April 12, 2019
Source: NetGalley 
My Rating: 5/5

About the book:

Love is in the air…?

Luca is used to being the ‘single one’ at weddings – it happens, when all your other friends are engaged, married or taken. But when she bumps into Tom, her friend from university who broke her heart into a million pieces, she finds herself wondering what could have been.

It’s ten years later, surely she should be over that Tom by now? So why is he looking even more gorgeous than ever – and why doesn’t he seem to be able to keep his eyes off her either?

And as the champagne flows and old secrets resurface, Luca realises that perhaps the time to take a chance on love and life is…now?
 

My Review:

        Have you ever felt that strong emotional pull towards a book after reading the first page? The feeling that you are meant to read this or the book is calling to you? Well, that is exactly what I felt when I randomly clicked open this on my kindle. I was putting it for another day but just thought it better to have quick look. I stopped only at the end and even now, I could feel the story as if I have lived through them all.
        A romance with the structure of a crime thriller is hard to find nowadays and that is what drew me into it from the start. Luca driving alone in the night will have anyone on the edge. What a stunning start to an unputdownable novel! Whoa! don't get me wrong, this is not crime fiction. Well, there is a small crime involved when you think about it, but still, it won't qualify for the genre.
       The entire story unfolds on a wedding day which also gives way to a reunion of six friends who stayed together (I loved the premise. Who could have known so many things can happen on a single day!). Some flashbacks are also there giving us a preview of the group's life together. They are weird, funny and constantly reminded me of my hostel mates. As always, secrets and misunderstandings play their parts and there ensues a cacophony. Ha!
        Don't want to be a spoilsport by giving out the storyline but I hugely recommend you to pick this book. Luca is the perfect narrator; she is our ordinary girl with no serious moral flaws or past regrets. Life just didn't work out for her, but not anymore. I loved the way she resisted Tom's advances instead of swooning over visibly. Every time they come together, I mentally urged her to stick with her decisions and speak up and she did. You go, girl! 
       On the whole, 'The Time of Our Lives' is an emotionally charged, well-crafted novel that will remind you that some friendships last forever.

Meet the author:

Portia MacIntosh has been ‘making stuff up’ for as long as she can remember – or so she says. Whether it was blaming her siblings for that broken vase when she was growing up, blagging her way backstage during her rock chick phase or, most recently, whatever justification she can fabricate to explain away those lunchtime cocktails, Portia just loves telling tales.

After years working as a music journalist, Portia decided it was time to use her powers for good and started writing novels instead. Bestseller Portia writes hilarious romcoms, drawing on her real-life experiences to show what it’s really like being a woman today – especially one who doesn’t quite have her life together yet.
 
        

6 comments:

  1. Excellent review. I am having a similar feeling with The Last Year of the War.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay - glad to see you like it, I have this one on my list

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a definite addition to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like the sound of this book. Adding to my TBR list.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the fun cover on this one and if it got a 5 star rating from you, I should definitely check it out :) Great job on your review!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.