Wednesday 5 February 2020

The Unspoken Name - A. K. Larkwood

Date of Reading: 25/01/2020
Author: A. K. Larkwood
Publisher: Tor Books
Publication Date: February 11, 2020
Source: NetGalley 
Rating: 4.5/5

About the book:

What if you knew how and when you will die?

Csorwe does — she will climb the mountain, enter the Shrine of the Unspoken, and gain the most honoured title: sacrifice.

But on the day of her foretold death, a powerful mage offers her a new fate. Leave with him, and live. Turn away from her destiny and her god to become a thief, a spy, an assassin—the wizard's loyal sword. Topple an empire, and help him reclaim his seat of power.

But Csorwe will soon learn – gods remember, and if you live long enough, all debts come due.
 


Review:

      Once I saw that stunning cover, I didn't think twice of requesting it. Anything inside such a poignant wrap should be nothing short of amazing. And how right I am! As an emerging genre, LGBT literature is surely in need of classical works like these.
      If you love that blurb, then let me tell you, this is just the tip of the iceberg. Spanning more than four hundred pages, the novel covers multiple universes with impeccable skill and even after the last page, I wished for more. There is one more book on the way since it is part of a duology and before you ask, no, this doesn't end in a cliffhanger. 
     Narrated mainly through Csorwe's perspective, the story follows her life from a sacrificial bride to a warrior. Indebted to Sethennai for her new life she is bent on procuring the Reliquary of Pentravesse, the most renowned mage who had somehow achieved a union with his deity. What follows is a tale of adventure where new love blossoms, destinies rewritten and some secrets are revealed.
      What keeps us constantly at the edge is the way good and bad fluctuates constantly as each character, especially Csorwe, Oranna and Shuthmili, make their own choices, altering their fates. Well, that almost summarises the crux of this story; our life is our own to live and shape. We definitely have a choice, but whether we are brave enough to grab it at the opportune moment seals our destinies. Highly recommended!

Meet the author:


A K Larkwood is a science fiction and fantasy writer and enthusiast. She studied English at St John's College, Cambridge. She has worked in higher education & media relations and is now studying law. She lives in Oxford, England, with her wife and a cat.

8 comments:

  1. Lovely review, not my typical genre but you pulled me in

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cover grabbed me, as well. I love the concept of characters knowing exactly when they're going to die - I think this one could be an intriguing read for me. Fantastic review :)

    Happy reading!
    Megan | Ginger Mom & Company

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, covers are definitely my weak spot. And I really loved this

      Delete
  3. It is a very interesting cover. However, not my type of book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Not my type of book but great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great review. Not sure I would like to know my fate - eek.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing review, I've been seeing this book a lot lately and it really looks and sounds absolutely fantastic and right up my alley as well. Thank you so much for sharing your awesome post.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.