Friday 20 July 2018

How (Not) to Marry a Duke - Felicia Kingsley

 
Date of Reading: 19/07/2018
Author: Felicia Kingsley
Publisher: Aria
Publication Date: August 2018
Translated by: Alessandra Rotilio
Rating: 4.5/5
From: NetGalley 
 
 
 
About the book:
 
A hilarious romantic comedy perfect for fans of Sophie Kinsella, Jo Watson and Meg Cabot.

One minute, Jemma Pears is a struggling theatrical make-up artist in London. The next, she's been left a vast fortune by her estranged grandmother. The catch: she must marry a man with a title to inherit. Jemma thinks this is truly impossible: she's a romantic, searching for true love, not just a convenient marriage... and besides, where would she even find a titled guy?

Enter Ashford, the new Duke of Burlingham. His legacy: massive debts that he must pay back immediately or risk the bank seizing his assets. Or worse: his mother's wrath!

When their lawyer hears of their situations, a secret match is made despite their mutual hatred of each other: through marrying Ashford, Jemma can inherit and Ashford can pay back his debts immediately. Problem solved. That is, until their marriage is leaked to the press and everyone finds out...

Now they have to play out the charade for at least a year or risk going to jail for fraud!

A hilarious pretense ensues and Jemma must battle against a crazy mother in law, a stuffy aristocracy, and finally, and most surprisingly of all, confusing feelings for Ashford...!
 
 
My Review:
 
      Reading this book was like getting exposed to Nitrous Oxide aka, the laughing gas. Fortunately, I am not too old, so my teeth haven't come off. But then again, I must have given a total scare to my hostelmates with all the shrieks of laughter coming from my room. I think you got the picture now.
      Since you are acquainted with the after effects of a laugh out loud romantic comedy now, let me come to the story. Predictable, for sure, but the novelty comes through the narrative style and the witty dialogues. Often it reminded me of a Korean drama I used to watch of a common girl forced to be married to an arrogant Prince. But Jemma is not an innocent, childish character; she is resourceful, fearless and a bit opinionated in a good way. She never runs out of ways to shock Ashford and also the readers.
      The Duke in the story, Ashford Parker is the epitome of elegant wit. I thoroughly enjoyed his narration and unique perspective of the events. The way he handles his mother and the rapport he enjoys with his best friend Harring produce the most hilarious moments in novel.
       A word of advice before you go hunting for this book. Never dare to open this precious thing in train or while waiting for the bus; well, that is, if you don't want to be stared at. Have fun reading!!!

16 comments:

  1. OMG, are you talking about the Princess Hours? Because I loved that dearly and it's my gateway to watching kdrama.

    Your review made the book feels like a cutesy rom-com with a touch of royal drama. Adding on my TBR. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like your blog.. There's so much effort in it... the interior design is really great.Such a professional work..you may take a look at mine too. U know it will really be great if I know your opinion.🤗

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved Princess Hours! This looks like such a cute book I am definitely going to have to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the sound of this. A book that makes me laugh is always welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book sounds right up my alley! Adding to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds like a good read. Adding to my TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the sound of this. You had me at perfect for fans of Meg Cabot. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I just finished the Kiss Quotient and am really in the mood for more Rom com's - this sounds so fun! Great Review!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds like a fun read. I'm sure to like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks like such a fun read!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love rom coms, so this book would definitely be for me. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha! Your last bit of advice is perfection. I wouldn't have ever thought about that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My dearest Finitha, what a surprise to read this review! Let me say a HUGE thank you for the time you spent with my beloved Jemma, Ashford and, of course, Delphina. I'm beyond happy to learn you welcome my book this good. My apologies for the awkward situations I put you in during the reading.
    XOXO
    felicia

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great review I absolutely love romantic comedy books and this one looks and sounds absolutely amazingly great, thank you so much for sharing your awesome post and for putting this book on my radar.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.