Friday 1 June 2018

Happily Never After - Emma Robinson

Date of Reading: 01/06/2016
Author: Emma Robinson
Publisher: Bookouture
Place: London
Year: 2018
Rating: 3.5/5
From: NetGalley 






About the book (Goodreads):

Rory doesn’t believe in love. She’s got far too many real problems to deal with.

She’s just bought a tumbledown house. Her mother is generally behaving like a wicked witch, insisting on calling her Aurora, and generally interfering in her (admittedly pitiful lack of) love life. And her 16-year-old daughter has finally grown out of Disney princesses and discovered dating…

But Rory’s adamant that she doesn’t need saving. In fact, the only thing she’s wishing on a star for is a bit of practical help. However, when she meets a builder whose name is John Prince and who seems to be in the habit of rescuing her (right down to finding her lost shoe one evening) she might have to face a truth as uncomfortable as hobbling home barefoot – that maybe there’s something enchanted in the air.

Her mother, daughter and friends are convinced her prince has come, but Rory just wishes everyone could let it go. Especially when she hears a story that makes her question whether he is really the hero everyone thinks he is…
 

My Review:
        I don't know why it is given the subtitle 'A laugh out loud romantic comedy' because there is nothing much to laugh in this. The story is more about parenting troubles, teenage rebellion and the challenges of teaching profession. It was a story with great potential, one I would have loved more with the addition of humour. 
      We encounter a bunch of realistic characters. Rory is not a fan of HEA and her daughter lives in search of a fairy tale prince charming. We could see the clouds of disaster approaching there itself. I really admire Rory even with her stubborn attitude, she is the type of teacher I would like to be one day. 
       Since it is the story of a single parent, instead of giving much interest to Rory's potential partner, it also focuses on the love life of her intimate friends - Susie and Penny. Rory's mother Sheila, I feel, is the sole fun element. Still this was an enlightening read, beautifully structured around the renovation of Rory's new home, aptly ending with housewarming party where all loose threads come together.

13 comments:

  1. Great and well thought out review. This is not one that I would read.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is not my kinda book. But I like the title thouhg :). Great review Finitha.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cover and synopsis pulled me in, glad I saw your review or I would have felt suckered!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please don't judge the book by my review. Give it a try, you may like it

      Delete
  4. great review. I still really like the synopsis of this book and may give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh...I so would have been sucked into this book if it was not for you review...I still may give it a try but it wont make the TBR.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great review. I don't like these subtitles that some books are given 'The hilarious new comedy', 'thriller with a killer twist' etc. I read one recently that was supposed to be this big laugh-out-loud book. I didn't even giggle.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would have thought the book would have had some comic relief by the cover and book blurb. To bad it didnt.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great review, it's a shame this book really didn't work out for you I hope your next read is a much better one. Thank you so much for sharing your awesome post.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.