Thursday 19 April 2018

It Ends with Us - Colleen Hoover

Date of Reading: 08/04/2018
Author: Colleen Hoover
Publisher: Atria
Place: New York
Year: 2016
Rating: 4.5/5





About the book:

Sometimes it is the one who loves you who hurts you the most.

Lily hasn’t always had it easy, but that’s never stopped her from working hard for the life she wants. She’s come a long way from the small town in Maine where she grew up — she graduated from college, moved to Boston, and started her own business. So when she feels a spark with a gorgeous neurosurgeon named Ryle Kincaid, everything in Lily’s life suddenly seems almost too good to be true.

Ryle is assertive, stubborn, maybe even a little arrogant. He’s also sensitive, brilliant, and has a total soft spot for Lily. And the way he looks in scrubs certainly doesn’t hurt. Lily can’t get him out of her head. But Ryle’s complete aversion to relationships is disturbing. Even as Lily finds herself becoming the exception to his “no dating” rule, she can’t help but wonder what made him that way in the first place.

As questions about her new relationship overwhelm her, so do thoughts of Atlas Corrigan — her first love and a link to the past she left behind. He was her kindred spirit, her protector. When Atlas suddenly reappears, everything Lily has built with Ryle is threatened.

My Review:

        I am not that much into triangle love stories. If the heroine makes a decision that I don't approve, I know that I am going to hate her forever. But this is not about triangle love even though we get that impression from the description. No . . . this is far more than a simple love story.
         The love triangle is not going to trouble you the least here (that was something new for me 😊). It doesn't matter who Lily chooses to be with because we feel a complete kinship with her to trust her enough in this. She is strong, dependable and admirable. Trust me, it takes a lot of courage to do what she has done in the end.
        There were times I felt this can't be real. Surely this should not be happening in real lives. But I have witnessed how two of my friends have gone through abusive relationships and how hard it can be. And the author's note at the end just proves how autobiographical it is.
       If you are a married couple or in a relationship, this is a must-read for you. If you are neither, then read to get a profound insight into human behaviour. Nothing is ever simple as we think from the outside. 
        And don't forget to reserve some free time before starting. This will blow you out thoroughly and so expect to get fired from work for lack of focus. Mull over it for some time. You are hereby warned, readers. And I strongly suggest you to not read the summary below unless you need to know the story beforehand for any research/project works.

Summary:

       Lily Bloom met Ryle Kincaid on one of the rooftop terraces in Boston. She had just buried her father, gave the worst eulogy ever and needed a quiet place to think and relax. Ryle reached there for a similar reason -- to escape a bad day in the hospital. They shared naked truths about each other since both never believed to meet each other again. Lily hated her father who used to beat her mother. But his apologies after the fights made her stay. Her first love was a homeless guy named Atlas who was beaten up by her father. She works in a company but what she would like to do is open a floral shop.
        Ryle is studying to be a neurosurgeon and lives with his sister and her wealthy husband. He hates relationships but indulges in one night stands. He would like one night with Lily but sadly she in the quest for her true love.
        With the inheritance of her father, Lily starts a flower shop. Her path crosses with Ryle's again when his sister Allysa joins as an assistant as she is bored to be at home all the time. She soon becomes Lily's best friend and Ryle can't stop thinking about her. He finally chucks his fear of relationships and starts dating her.
       On one of her dinners with her mother, she meets Atlas in the new restaurant. She mistakes him for a waiter, though he was the owner. Seeing her happy with Ryle, he tells that he too is dating someone. Lily had always loved Atlas. She even came to Boston because it was their dream city. He had promised to come back to her once he returned from military service. But now that chapter is closed and she begins to think of a life with Ryle.

        Ryle is quite passionate about his career, but he also cares for Lily deeply. But there are times when he is consumed by anger and on one such occasion he pushed Lily hard, hurting her. He immediately apologises claiming it as an accident. Lily is taken back to the memories of her father but Ryle's efforts comfort her. But Atlas warns her against being like her mother and gives her his number in case of an emergency.
       Ryle and Lily get married in Vegas, and Allyssa is found pregnant bringing in more happiness. Ryle accidentally finds the number of Atlas hidden inside the mobile cover and suspects an affair. His anger goes out of hand and Lily is pushed down the stairs. With Allysa's persuasion, Ryle explains the reason behind his sudden bouts of temper. He had accidentally shot his elder brother at the age of five. After that, it was never easy for him to control his emotions. He promises to keep away from her when such scenarios arise and Lily's heart surges with compassion.
        Her shop is nominated for the best new shops in Boston. Atlas' restaurant - Bib's - also makes to the list and newspaper article explains how the name which is short for 'Best in Boston' is inspired by a girl. Ryle notices that Lily has attached to the fridge a magnet which says the same thing. Suspicious again, he reads Lily's old journals and finds that it has been given by Atlas.
       He unleashes his anger and tries to rape her this time. In between, he regains his normal behaviour but Lily was hurt. She calls Atlas in secret and escapes to his house. To give her some space to think Ryle goes to England for three months and she returns to their apartment. She finds herself pregnant and Allysa supports her decision to be away from Ryle.
        Upon his return, Ryle tries to get back her affections but Lily was firm. After the birth of their girl child, she asks for a divorce. She doesn't want her daughter to hate her father as Lily did. She meets Atlas again to begin her life anew.

Something to ponder . . .

"There is no such thing as bad people. We're all just people who sometimes do bad things".  - 14

"Maybe love isn't something that comes full circle. It just ebbs and flows, in and out, just like the people in our lives." - 191

"When you experience it firsthand, it isn't so easy to hate the person who mistreats you when most of the time they're your godsend." - 293

Colleen Hoover
"Cycles exist because they are excruciating to break. It takes an astronomical amount of pain and courage to disrupt a familiar pattern. Sometimes it seems easier to just keep running in the same familiar circles, rather than facing the fear of jumping and possibly not landing on your feet." - 309

43 comments:

  1. I've lived this book and paid a terrible price at the time, but time gave us all perspective. We're all not laughing about it now, but at the time it moved lives. I'll pick this up, nice review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sorry to hear what you have gone through, Thomas. Glad that you are moving forward.

      Delete
  2. I love your review. Seems like a very interesting book. Might just check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice review. I've heard a lot of good things about this book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This certainly looks like a interesting book... Also nicely summarized... Thanks for sharing... :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh cool, I'll add this book to my list. I just love to read! It's one of my favorite things to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You won't regret it. It is a beautiful novel

      Delete
  6. Frist, your website is lovely <3, I love it very much. And the book sounds interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You just made me discover a new book!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Loved this review! I have never read a CoHo book and want to.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This was my first. Planning to get her other novels

      Delete
  9. I love everything Colleen Hoover writes! Glad you enjoyed this one.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This book is so moving! I absolutely loved it and it's one I always recommend.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've been mulling over which Colleen Hoover book to check out, since I haven't read any of her works yet, even though I avidly follow her on Instagram xD
    But now I know which book to read! Thanks for the awesome review!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have seen many posts on this one, I haven't read a Colleen Hoover book but my friends have recommended her books to me. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like an interesting read. I'm not really into reading fiction, but my brothers girlfriend is a huge fan; I'll mention this one to her.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have heard good things about Colleen Hoover. I might need to pick this one up!

    ReplyDelete
  15. With your summary I feel like i don’t need to but the book anymore but I always cave in to love stories with love tringle just like twilight. I will check this out in Indigo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am a twilight fan too. You will definitely love this one

      Delete
  16. Great review, I really need to re-start to read more of Colleen Hoover books but I have a kind of love and hate relationship with her books. But I really do love her writing style her books are really addicting to me, and I just put two of her books on hold at my library just now. Thank you so much for sharing your awesome post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a lot for commenting Katiria. Your words are always inspiring

      Delete
  17. Great review. Not heard of the book before. Not really into love triangles either.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those were some good takeaways at the end. Cycles are definitely hard to break.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thanks for sharing. I'm glad to hear you didn't have any love triangle problems with this one. I still need to read something by Colleen Hoover.

    -Lauren
    www.shootingstarsmag.net

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a great book, I am sad I wont be reading it since the summary seems to have it all but still great book

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! So sorry for ruining your surprise. Thought you minded the warning at the beginning :(

      Delete
  21. That's quite an interesting story. Ryle's behavior... oh my god. I think this book is here to make you think about abusive relationship and people's behavior towards it. Both Ryle and Alyssa giving excuses to his violence... no, they are no excuse.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. So I was really happy with Lily's decision

      Delete
  22. This is a great review and as a massive book lover it is good to get new recommendations. Domestic abuse is a topic that so needs to be high lighted as too often people do not even realise they are in an abusive relationship.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing. Hope you will like the book too

      Delete
  23. I'm always looking for new books to add to my collection! This one sounds like one I may like!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That review was awesome and definitely made me interested in the book. I wouldn't mind picking this up! It sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  25. These books look like a lot of fun to read. The characters are multifaceted and they have a great plot.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment. I would love to hear from you.